For most seniors, lack of mobility is a major problem. Many areas are hard to access, especially when your joints become weak, and the balance becomes less as you age.
Seniors have to be very careful in knowing how they’ll get in and out of the car, bed, bathtub, and all the other places that require them to sit. For as long as the elderly wish to remain independent, there will come a time when they will need another person’s help.
With that being said, a step stool is an important helping tool for the elderly to fulfill their routine tasks easily.
Here, we’ll guide you to find the best step stool for the elderly so they can exercise mobility without any hesitation.
How to Choose the Right Step Stool for Elderly?
If you want to choose the right step stool, then there are a few factors that you must take into consideration in order for you to make the right decision. A stool should be selected based on a person’s individual needs in order to determine which stool is suitable for them. Before purchasing a stool, it is important to consider whether it is a viable option.
A stool may not be a good option if the user has balance issues, or you may have to purchase a stool with a handle if the user does not have a handle on the stool. If you do not need to worry about the balance, then you will need to consider the following factors when selecting one.
It is important to ensure that the stool is made from a sturdy material such as wood or metal so that it lasts for a long time. Moreover, it should be non-slip so as not to cause any accidents.
Stools that are collapsible or foldable may be of better use if you need to transport or store them on a regular basis. It should be easy for the user to fold away if necessary.
Whenever you are unsteady on your feet, the step should be larger in order to ensure that you have a good and secure footing before lifting off the ground in order to keep your balance. Since the size of a step is an important factor to ensure safety, we need to make sure it is not too large to be inconvenient and bulky when not in use.
The height of the stool is determined by the height of the bed and the mobility of the user. A person who has less mobility will need a higher step. The height of the bed may require you to use a two-step stool if you have poor mobility and the bed height is high.
A handrail provides extra support when weight is applied to the stool, but it is only if it does not tip the stool over when weight is applied to the stool. Ensure that the stool is not a hazard before purchasing it. It is essential that the rail be equipped with a non-slip grip.
The stool you choose should be able to support your weight in a safe and comfortable manner. Also, if you are not in need of a heavy stool, then do not buy one. Consequently, you may find it difficult to move around because of this.
Top 6 Best Step Stools for Elderly
1)-Step2Bed Rails - Best Step Stool for Elderly:
Need a step stool that prevents injuries and falls while providing the freedom to be mobile wherever and whenever? If yes, then this stool has you covered!
The Step2Bed is a multi-purpose step stool that can also be used as a handrail. If you add this to your room, you can contribute to the safety of your elders and give them full confidence to do whatever they want without the risk of falling.
Besides that, the stool cuts down the distance from your feet to the floor so you can get out of bed easily.
To ensure there are no risks of injuries or falls, the Step2Bed stool has two durable handrails and a non-slip, extra-wide standing platform to guarantee safety.
- Freedom without Risks: The Step2Bed Bed Rails for seniors can help your loved ones to move in and out of places safely with the easy-to-grab handles for better support and durability.
- Adjustable Height Options: The Adjustable height bed steps are used for low beds and high beds for the elderly to adjust the height according to their needs.
- Purely Safe: This is an LED light-guided step stool that makes it easier for the elder to know where they are standing and get in and out of places safely in the dark.
- Perfect Steps: It is made from durable and powerful steel for more safety and security. Besides that, the Extra Wide, Non-Slip step stool features a handle that can carry 400lbs of weight
2)-DMI Step Stool with Handle - Best Rated Step Stool:
If you’re on the lookout for a step stool with handles, then you can’t find anything better than the DMI Step Stool with handle. The design may be typical, but it still comes with a few bells and whistles that’ll support the seniors in every possible way.
The most significant thing about this step stool is its handle. The handle has a rubber grip to prevent slipping or falling risks, as this is important because then the elderly will have to pull themselves up with only the handrail.
On the other hand, the most prominent problem with this step stool is its assembling and the unhelpful manual it comes with. The package doesn’t come with the necessary hardware to assemble the stool.
However, the overall structure and design of this step stool make up for this downfall, so you can end up with a much reliable step stool than the other ones out there.
- Easy Approach to Objects: Be able to easily grab objects that were impossible to grab before with the reliable handrail, giving stability and ensuring safety to the elderly.
- Safe Steps: With this step stool, elders can safely step onto higher beds, cabinets, bathtubs, vehicles, and more.
- Non-Slip Surface: The matted and unbreakable rubber tips improve stability and ensure safety for your loved ones.
- Chrome-Finish: The matte rubber tips aren’t the only matter of discussion. The chrome finish on the steel frame supports more than 300 lbs of weight with proper efficiency and reliability.
3)-AdjustaStep(TM) DoubleSafe Deluxe - Best step stool with handle for elderly :
The AdjustaStep DoubleSafe Deluxe Step Stool is the first step stool that contains two handles that can easily be adjusted within seconds and without using any tools.
When it comes to the looks, this is the best-looking step stool compared to any other available in the market. Besides that, it features a non-slip base and platform, steel construction and a stunning, easy to clean, and durable powder-coated surface.
The AdjustaStep DoubleSafe Deluxe is not a product of China, and it doesn’t produce any unpleasant odors either.
- Extremely Adjustable: The best step stool with height adjustment; be able to customize the handle and step height within seconds.
- Safe Step Stool: The presence of two handrails enhances mental and physical safety. Moreover, users can customize handle and height adjustments easily according to their needs.
- Versatile Step Stool: While being able to adjust the handle and height, the users need to understand that the AdjustaStep is not a product of MAINLAND CHINA and it doesn’t include any unpleasant odors which are present in the made-in-mainland china products.
- Clean, Smart Design: The blue/white design looks like it’s made for those who need a throne. Thanks to the industrial-looking silver or chrome vein finishes, you can move in and out of places with style.
4)- Jobar International - Best Bath Step Stool:
If you want a traditional looking bathtub step stool for your parents, this is the best choice.
This is a great step stool for any elderly person who wants to get in and out from the shower comfortably with no chances of falling or slipping.
Furthermore, the handrail grabs more attention to this step stool, as it provides more support and balance to the user. Other than that, the textured platform offers a good grip on the stool, which betters the overall sturdiness of the step stool.
- Bathtub Companion: The Jobar International step stool is the best bathroom step stool for the elderly, and it provides both independence and safety to the users while leaving and entering the bathtub/shower.
- Trustworthy Platform: Once you step onto the step stool platform, you will feel a powerful, non-slip grip on the platform that’ll give you the strength and power to get out from the bathtub easily with comfor
- Safe to Use: Thanks to the handrail, the elderly get more balance and support while moving in and out of places.
- The Material of Build: The Jobar International bath step with handle is made from high-quality, durable steel.
5)-Drive Medical Heavy Duty Bariatric Footstool:
The Drive Medical Heavy Duty provides portable steps for the elderly without the risks of tripping and falling over.
It is a great companion for car, bathroom, bed, and other ventures that demand a little help. This footstool reduces the chances of slipping due to its rubber pad, plus the handrail is reliable, and it does not feel fragile when you put your weight onto it.
Other than that, the Drive Medical footstool is 13 pounds, which means you can move it around easily.
- Best Looking Stool: The Drive Medical Heavy Duty Bariatric Footstool has an easy to clean, attractive, durable silver vein finish.
- Sturdy Platform: The non-skid rubber base is sturdy and safe enough to help the seniors get in and out of places with confidence.
- The Material of Build: This step stool is constructed with trustworthy 1” steel covering, combined with cross brace for additional strength.
- Easy to Use: This is not just a safety stool for those who have trouble moving, but it is also a smartly designed one with easy controls. Besides that, it doesn’t demand any assembling, as it is pre-assembled.
6)- Delxo 2 Step Stool - Best light weight step ladder for elderly :
When it comes to pleasant and heavenly step stools for the elderly, the Delxo 2 Step Stool is the best one that comes to mind.
It weighs 11.9 pounds and can carry 330lbs of weight. Besides that, this is a foldable step stool without the locking feature where you can easily open it by clicking the top pedal.
Considering the height and weight of this step stool, it doesn’t damage your floor or space at all.
Furthermore, this isn’t just a step stool for the elderly, but it can also be used for cleaning, painting, reaching things from the top shelf, and many more. Also, the non-slip rubber platform makes it more safe and stable to use.
- GS-Certified: To ensure safety and quality, the Delxo Step Stool has been certified by the GS and TUV organizations.
- Versatile Ladder: This is the best step ladder for the elderly that offers a reliable handgrip, making it easier to carry and climb. It is the best choice for seniors, and it can also be used as a pet step stool or a chair.
- Stable and Secure: The Delxo Step stool boasts a non-slip rubber base, the wide steps provide safer heel-to-toe prop up, eliminating chances of fatigue and foot pain and giving the user a comfortable and stable platform to stand.
- Foldable Ladder: The Delxo Step stool comes pre-assembled. Simply tilt the ladder forward and let go of the metal lock, and then lift the back of the pedal.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1)-How do you pick a step stool?
Storage is the first consideration when choosing a step stool. Choose molded or non-folding step stools if you intend to place them under a counter. If space is limited, consider a folding step stool. For easy storage in closets and cabinets, folding step stools collapse and flatten.
2)-What Wood Is Best for A Step Stool?
The use of maple or oak hardwood is highly recommended when building a step stool in order to prevent substance abuse during the construction process. Manufacturers or DIYers use hardwood for the construction of step stools, but this type of wood is difficult to cut and nail.
While step stools offer huge help in mobility, they also carry risks of falling. However, if you can find a good quality step stool, then it should be safe enough to take you everywhere without the fear of falling.
In our above-mentioned reviewed, we’ve discussed some of the 6 best step stools for the elderly that’ll support them in their daily ventures like getting out of bed, the bathtub, car, chair, sofa, etc.
Also Read: Best floor lamp to light up a room